“The Barracks”, currently owned and maintained by the Greenbrier Historical Society, is thought to have been constructed between 1787 and 1807 based on historical documents. This three story log building is believed to be one of the first structures constructed in Greenbrier County. During early settlement of the region, it served as an outpost and beacon for those traveling through the area. Its moniker comes from its use as a military barracks during the War of 1812. Since its war-time use, it has been maintained and preserved at its original location in the historic district of Lewisburg, West Virginia.
For more information on the Barracks and the Greenbrier Historical Society, click here.
We collected samples from the Barracks and the North House Museum basement in May 2015.