Now that the cat is out of the bag, we'd like to share the dating results with everyone who couldn't be there...
Surprisingly we also found that there was a second phase of construction on the Barracks in 1877, which was limited to the east wall and the easternmost floor joists in the basement.
Perhaps the eastern wall was damaged during the Battle of Lewisburg in 1862 and the logs had to be replaced? Or perhaps the eastern wall was not a part of the 1799 blueprint (making an open porch) and was later added to enclose the one-story room? Either way, we look forward to hearing what the GHS digs up in the written records!
What a great project this was. We are so pleased to have helped determine the age of the Barracks. And a date of 1799 makes it one of the oldest surviving (and absolutely dated) structures of the county and the area!