We've been recovering from the blow of having our last grant proposal rejected. But we've been too busy to sulk about it. In fact, I'll be applying for another grant in October and another one in February. Fingers crossed!
Today I would like to talk with you all about replication. This is something I first mentioned in the August 11 post. But I want to bring it up again, because we've been dealing with issues of replication lately. The take away message about replication is that we cannot provide a date for a structure based on one core. Or even a few cores. We need to get the same date from multiple cores from multiple locations in a structure. But we like to be conservative in our coring, too. There is no need to core every log on every floor. We start with what we think will be the best representatives of the cutting date, and we come back and collect more cores if needed.
Now, in order to talk about our issues with replication today, I'm going to have to give you just a tiny bit of insider information on the Barracks. Don't tell anyone.
We have been working on cores from the Barracks for about a month now. I will show you what this entails in an upcoming post. But we have run into a bit of a problem.
Let me first remind you of where we collected cores from the Barracks. If you'll remember, the Barracks was recently renovated and rechinked. Because of this, we decided it would be best to try to get a date from logs that weren't adjacent to the new chinking. Our philosophy is to only be as invasive as necessary. So we sampled support beams in the basement and a log wall in the attic. BUT when we started dating the cores we noticed that our attic logs were very old and our basement cores were not so old....Interesting. The obvious reason for this is that at some point in time (I'm not telling yet) the basement support beams had to be replaced. But because we were not getting the same cutting years for the basement and the attic, we could not rely on the attic date to be the construction date. Maybe the attic logs were also replaced at some point. Since we did not sample exterior walls we could not, as of yet, answer that question. But we knew it was time to collect more cores.
So Shawn and I asked Nick at the Greenbrier Historical Society if we could come back for a day and collect cores from the walls. He said whatever you guys need to do, just do it! Nick is great like that. Thanks Nick!
Shawn and I packed up our gear and headed to Lewisburg Thursday morning (very early). We collected 15 beautiful cores from the walls on the first and second floor. It was a really. long. day. But it was a successful day! We will begin dating those cores next week. And just so you know, no chinking was harmed in the process.